Sunday, May 17, 2009

Shimbashi Soba @ Paragon

After weeks of tightening our belts amid the ongoing recession, Blamer and I decided to let our hair down and enjoy something sinful today.

Shimbashi Soba, I have been wanting to try out the soba here ever since the day I witnessed the chef preparing the soba "live" behind a glass panel. The restaurant cleverly installed a wheat miller beside the chef, showing you that the flour used was being freshly milled as well.

Blamer's set. She ordered the warm version of soba and her set came with assorted tempura, chicken kaarage and fried tofu.



That's Blamer giving the thumbs up for her set. Personally, I think the soba tasted better when cold.

My set. Cold soba with unagi, salmon sashimi and assorted tempura as well.

Noticed the wasabi. This was actually the first time I tasted wasabi freshly grated from the wasabi root. It is still mind numbing, however there's a slight fragrant to it that is missing in the paste form normally served at most restaurant. Man... I would not eat wasabi like I used to anymore.



Yup yup can't wait to sink my teeth into the cold soba. It's more chewy compared to Blamer's version which sort of disintegrates even without chewing. The cold version is more 'Q' (as most taiwanese like to put it) and you could actually taste the slight sweetness of the soba if you chew it slowly.

Since we have already spent so much, should end the meal with a nice Japanese dessert. Although the only thing Japanese about this dessert is the green tea flavoured rice cake hidden amidst the soybean powder.

Overall, thumbs up for the food fare. Damage to wallet is about SGD70++ inclusive of green tea served throughout the meal.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails